My son wants to divorce his fiancee after the nikkah during the engagement period


My son got engaged a few weeks ago and the nikkah was performed. For several reasons he wants to end the engagement and get a divorce. As part of the mahr, we had set an amount for the mokadam and mo’akhar, and there were several gifts of jewellery and the engagement party, how do we go about it?


At the time of the nikah, there should have been an agreement on the total amount of mahr. If he wants to divorce her and the marriage has not been consummated (they have not had intercourse), he must pay her half of the total agreed mahr, and he can not deduct the gifts or expenses of engagement from her due Mahr.

Answered by: Dr Ali Alsamail
Certified by: Sheikh Mansour Leghaei