I have an issue with a little sibling in my family. I noticed he is reaching puberty and becoming more mature. Lately he has been spending a lot of time in the bathroom and as an adult I am aware of what the teenagers are facing.
My brother is committing the sin of masturbation. I don’t know how to communicate with him so he can stop this vicious act. A lot of teenagers are experiencing these issues and I don’t think it is something to take lightly. Many teenagers are too shy to talk about this problem also.
Unfortunately, masturbation is quite common among the teens. The best solution of reduction is:
1. to educate them about its prohibition in Islam and that God is watching them at that time,
2. to educate them about its negative physcial side-effects, such as low stamina level, effects on vision, ill effects on future relations with his wife, etc. (note that unfortunately, because its so common among men, some doctors try to deny its ill effects -because they practice it too)
3. to engage them in physcial activities such as sport, work, etc, and make sure that when they go to bed they are dead tired, and also once they wake up, they should be taken out of bed. Their time in the bathroom needs to be monitored too.
4. They should not be exposed to provocative scenes, which is unfortunately a big challenge in today’s world, but the less the better.
5. facilitate their marriage as soon as possible.
May God protect us all from the cursed Shaytan.
Answered by: Sheikh Mansour Leghaei